Building a new server today for a client, and as part of patching we manually installed Exchange 2013 Service Pack 3, and then of course the latest update rollup – which happens to be UR6. UR6 came out in May this year, so it’s not all that new.
The Exchange 2013 SP3 went on without a problem – right click, run as Administrator and it was away. It took maybe 30 minutes or so, not really sure as I did not watch it all the way, but when done even though it didn’t ask for a reboot, I did one anyway. So far so good.
Now to install UR6 for Exchange 2010 SP3. I downloaded this direct from the Microsoft website and went to install it – right click and select Apply. It went through, and then bombed out with no real error. The logs could not be found.
I disabled User Account Control, rebooted the server and then reinstalled UR6 – it went on first time without problems.
I guess I could have also run it from an elevated command prompt as well – but I had to disable UAC for other reasons during this server build. Something to keep in the back of your mind.
Other things to ensure you do when installing Exchange Service Packs and Update Rollups include
- Disable all Antivirus Software
- Do a backup before the patch
- Close the SBS console
- Disable monitoring software such as Kaseya (it can keep files open depending on your configuration)