One of the things you should do before migration is to ensure that you set your DSRM password to something that you know. The quickest way to do this is to use NTDSUtil to synchronise it with the current SBS 2008 or SBS 2011 Network Administrators password.
To do this is easy – use the following procedure.
- Open up a CMD prompt window
- Run NTDSUTIL.EXE
- Type SET DSRM PASSWORD and hit enter
- Type SYNC FROM DOMAIN ACCOUNT ADMINISTRATOR_ACCOUNT_NAME and hit Enter (where ADMINISTRATOR_ACCOUNT_NAME is your network admin account)
- This will set the password to your current network administrators account password.
- Hit Q twice to exit the NTDSUTIL tool
You can see below where I’ve configured my SBS 2008 server to sync with the account SBSADMIN
Of course, the next thing before you need to use it in a DR scenario is to test it of course!